The following steps are the same when providing care for adults, children and infants.
1. Check for responsiveness and look at the chest for signs of breathing.
- If the victim is unresponsive and has normal breathing, place the victim in
the recovery position, have someone call 9-1-1, and monitor the victim for
- If the victim is unresponsive and has abnormal breathing (not breathing or
only gasping) have someone call 9-1-1 and retrieve an AED.
2. Provide chest compressions
- Give 30 chest compressions
3. Provide rescue breaths
- Open the airway
- Tilt the victims head back and lift the chin.
- Give 2 breaths
- Each breath lasts one seconds and should produce visible chest rise
4. Continue CPR until an AED is available, EMS personnel takes over, or the
victim starts to move.